Animal Bites Essential Oil Usage
Dog bites or bites from other animals can typically be treated with home care if there is no danger of rabies. If the skin is broken and rabies are a possibility the animal should be identified or captured if possible and professional medical help should be used. For other bites they may fall into one of these categories:
• No broken skin – minor concern.
• Puncture wound – limited bleeding and a high risk of infection.
• Open wounds with torn flesh – bleeding needs to be stopped, infection addressed and wound closed properly. In more serious situations there is also the possibility of damage to underlying structures in the body including tendons, ligaments, nerves, bones, etc. Also sutures or medical procedures may be required to repair highly damaged areas.
Always monitor any of these types of wounds in the days following for the danger of infection.
Animal Bites Suggested Oil Usage
Essential oils based products:
• No broken skin – clean and topically apply Melaleuca. Use Deep Blue for pain and bruising.
• Puncture wound – clean and apply Frankincense, Melaleuca, On Guard and/or Purify topically. To help oils penetrate into the puncture dilute with a carrier oil and work them into the wound. Cover and treat 2 times per day for 2 - 3 days.
• Open wounds with torn flesh – Stop the bleeding with Helichrysum and pressure. Clean the area and topically apply Frankincense, Melaleuca, On Guard and/or Purify.
Cautions: If flesh is damaged to the point requiring stitches or there is danger of damaged ligaments, tendons, nerves or bones seek professional medical attention. If there is a risk of rabies capture the animal if possible and seek professional medical attention.
Consider 4 drops of On Guard and 3 drops of Oregano in a capsule taken 2 times a day for added protection against infection. See also Scar Reduction.